I am an assistant professor in Computer Science at the University of Hong Kong. I am on leave and spending the 2013-14 academic year in the Computer Science Department of Stanford University, where I work with Tim Roughgarden. Before that, I obtained my Ph.D. in CIS at Penn under the supervision of Sampath Kannan and Aaron Roth. I took undergraduate study in the "Yao Class" under Prof. Andrew Yao at Tsinghua University.
Here is my CV.
Broadly speaking, my research is in the area of theoretical computer science. Specifically, my research interests span various topics in algorithmic mechanism design, differential privacy, and online algorithms. The main theme of my research is to develop the theory of computation in the presence of private data held by self-interested agents, using mathematical tools from computer science, economics, and other fields. See my publications for more details.
Sorted in reverse-chronological order. Click on a title to toggle the abstract.
TalksSlides available upon request.
- Privacy-preserving auctions
- Dagstuhl Seminar on Electronic Markets and Auctions, November, 2013
- Differentially private and truthful mechanisms
- EC Workshop on Privacy and Economics, June, 2013
- Whole-page optimization and submodular welfare maximization with online bidders
- EC 2013
- MSR Asia, May, 2013
- Shanghai Jiaotong University, May, 2013
- Simple and nearly optimal multi-item auction
- SODA 2013
- Exploiting metric structure for efficient private query release
- DIMACS Differential Privacy Workshop, October, 2012
- Exponential mechanism for social welfare: private, truthful, and nearly optimal
- FOCS 2012
- MSR-UW Experience Theory Project, August, 2012
- MSR Redmond Theory Seminar, July, 2012
- HKUST Theory Seminar, May, 2012
- CUHK Theory Seminar, April, 2012
- Algorithms for the generalized sorting problem
- FOCS 2011
- HKUST Theory Seminar, December, 2012
- Bayesian incentive compatibility via fractional assignments
- SODA 2011
- China Theory Week, September, 2010
- UPenn Theory Lunch, May, 2010
- Dynamic and non-uniform pricing strategies for revenue maximization
- FOCS 2009
- UPenn Theory Lunch, September, 2009
- Revisiting the direct sum theorem and space lower bounds in random order streams
- ICALP 2009
- I am into rock climbing. Here is a great video introducing what rock climbing is about. I also love playing basketball. We won the 2009 NorthEast Chinese Basketball Tournament. I enjoy soccer as well. I am a fan of Real Madrid and Raúl González.
- I enjoy playing bridge with my friends in my free time. We won the NABC Collegiate Bridge Championship in 2010 and 2011!
- I love traveling and solving mathematical problems on the plane.