Immigration - Visa Information

A valid passport and visa for visiting China are required for all participants, except those from Singapore , Brunei and Japan if they stay for less than 15 days. Today in many countries it is easy to get a tourist visa ( "L" Visa) to China from the Chinese Embassy or Consulate in their living countries.

"L" Visa is issued to an alien who comes to China for sightseeing or visiting family members/friends.


1. Your valid & actual passport which must have at least six (6) months of remaining validity with at least one blank visa page in it.

2. One completed Visa Application Form (Q1) with one passport photo (black & white or color is acceptable) glued or stapled on it.

3. An applicant who was born in China is required to submit his /her Chinese passport or last foreign passport with a Chinese visa when he or she applies for a Chinese visa with a new foreign passport.

Visa Validity and Duration of Stay

Usually the validity of a Single Entry or Double Entry "L" visa is 90 days or 180 days from the date of issue. This means the holder of the visa shall enter China no later than 90 days or 180 days from the date of issue, otherwise the visa is expired and is null and void. The duration of stay of a "L" visa is 30 days , which means the holder of the visa may stay in China for up to 30 days from the date of entry.The visa officer may extend the Duration of Stay if the applicant needs and requests a stay in China for more than 30 days.

Obtaining the visa normally takes some time. Please get advices from your nearby Chinese Embassy or Consulate to make sure you have enough time for getting your visa application approved.

Invitation Letters

If you need an invitation letter for issuing a Chinese visa, please contact Shoujian Yu and Dehua Chen at Note that only ICDE 2009 participants will be sent invitation letters.